5/13/2007

Riding with Andy

The duathlon ended up not being the highlight of my weekend in Grand Forks. On Sunday morning I got to ride with retired pro racer Andy Hampsten!

Andy was in town to help move his Mother who has been an English Professor at UND forever. Plus, the city of Grand Fork had a ceremony to name their new bike trail system after Hampsten. But the best part of the weekend was that the local bike shop organized a fast 30 mile ride with Andy which was meant for more serious bike riders. I had no idea about any of this until Saturday afternoon. Riding with him would be equivalent to a tennis player having the chance to volley with Andre Agassi.

There were about 30 people at the ride. Some came from as far away as Winnipeg. There was nothing fast about the ride (15mph average) thou after about 10 miles there were only maybe 15 people. I talked with Andy for at least 20 minutes about Italy which Linda and I will be visiting in July 07. I told him about my race FU and asked him if he ever got lost in a pro race. He said 'Oh yeah!'. He tried to remember which one but couldn't. I was surprised to hear about the lack of course marshals or signs and how the pros sometimes just go where the crowds are standing.

The neatest part was telling him that his Mom had purchased one of my photographs from my senior art show way back in 1988 when I graduated from UND. He said that she had bought many student artworks over the years and that they filled her house. Part of the move that he was in town for was that all her kids had to choose artworks to take back home. Was mine still there?

I was beside him as we climbed over the highest hill in Grand Forks county (an overpass). I made sure that I got just a wheel length ahead at the top. So, yes, I out climbed Andy Hampsten.

Andy is a really cool likable guy. A great memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment