6/03/2007

Race Report: State Time Trial Championship

This race took place in St Peter, MN which is about 50-60 miles south west of Minneapolis. A typical quaint Minnesota town. My neighbor Jeff and I carpooled in my Element to the race.

A time trial, or TT, is an individualized race against the clock. This was the first time that I raced in a sanctioned race. Most bikers are licensed by the Cycling Federation but they also allow other people like me to buy a one day license for the race. However we are only allowed to be in the lowest category called 'Cat 5'. Not really a problem for me - I just want to race.

This race was 40K or around 24 miles out and back on the same country road. There is really no story to tell about TTs other then trying to tempo ones effort so you are going as fast as you can but making sure you won't use up all your effort too early. It's a real mind game of enduring pain to a certain point.

The race went very well for me. I felt like I was working hard and had enough left to ride the last 4-5 miles really hard. At one point I had a guy pass me while I was doing about 26mph. He was flying. I looked him up in the results and he ended up being one of the fastest. My finishing time was just under an hour at 59:18. I was pleased. Jeff finished ahead of me at 56:10. Here are all the results.

After I finished the race I grabbed my camera and took some shoots. They are on my Flickr page. There is a great photo of a guy from work that I ride with during the noon hour. Nelson Zamora. Nice work Nelson!

No comments:

Post a Comment