5/11/2008

Race Report: Oakdale Duathlon

Last Fall I competed on this very same course in the Fall Classic Duathlon. This year the race was bigger and the competition was faster.

This Spring I joined the Now Sports triathlon team. Some of my teammates were also in the race so we all racked our bikes together and hung out. In the past I was usually at races alone so having buddies to talk with was really nice. It makes the waiting around go fast as well as modivation to do well for the team.

The beginning 3 miles started with a big separation by the fast group of men. I elected to run with that pack of about 12 but I was in the 12th position. I was cruising along just fine.

After a flawless fast transition I was out onto the bike course. As I've pointed out it the past, I know the roads very well because they are close to home. I really felt great on the bike so I was just pouring it on. I past a lot of people along the entire 13 miles. At one point about half way I thought that perhaps I was going too hard and that I might need to save something for the final run. But the body was strong so I gunned it.

2nd transition went fine and now I was finally in the home stretch. And a good stretch was what I was needing. My calves started to tighten. Oh no. Last Fall my gluts tighten, now this. But quickly they loosen - thank god. A few of the guys I had passed on the bike were now catching me. They were all really good runners that had been in the starting group of 12. It always happens to me so I just jealously watch them sprint away from me. I hope they felt the same watching me bike past them! The hardest one to watch was the guy that caught and passed me in the final 100 meters. Damn, he was in my age bracket as well.

So in the end I was 34 overall, 7 of 22 in the 40-49 age bracket, and, best of all, 5th fastest cyclist in the whole race. I'm happy overall but clearly if I could inprove my running I would be highly competitive. Definitely need to work on running this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment