8/15/2006

Tokyo #8: ranKing ranQueen

In Shibuya station Linda and I found ranKing ranQueen. The premise of the store is that everything is ranked by it's popularity in it's category. So for instants you can pick up the #2 mineral water or the #4 book, etc... But they took it well beyond the popularity of popular things like water, books, DVDs, etc. I picked up the #1 callous remover and Linda picked up the #1 makeup remover. It was unclear to me (and others in the blogesphere) what the ranking is based on. Are they really polling people each day on their favorite ramen noodles? My guess would be that they put up 5 products in a catagory then monitor the sales to generate the ranking the following week. Just a guess. I would gave ranKing ranQueen my #2 shopping experiences during the trip. According to this CNN article, this particular shop gets 20,000 visitors a day. On this day Linda was the #1 customer .

No comments:

Post a Comment