5/23/2007

Race Report: Get In Gear 10K 2007

This is a bit out of order as I did this race back in April. I blogged about this same race last year. This year the day was quite different in that it was a gorgeous sunny morning. Other then that it was almost the same race. Strangely so.

I entered the race feeling very strong. I had a good winter of continuous training and after all the marathon training last Summer I assumed I would be faster then last year. The goal was sub 7 minute miles. At the first mile marked I was already 15 seconds behind where I wanted to be. Not good but understandable with so many people. At the second mile I was once again 20 seconds off on that mile. Clearly the race was not going my way. There was nothing special about the rest of the race other then I was able to really gun the last half mile and passed a ton of people. I finish with a time of 46.28.

The real surprise, and frustration, was that mile for mile I ran almost the same race last year, in the rain and supposedly in less shape. My take away is that I need to work more on speed. I've done a lot of work to build my aerobic conditioning but I haven't been much time doing intervals or just running fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment