5/19/2008

HIstorical Crap #1: Vintage Video Games

For a long time I've been meaning to go through some very old boxes. As my wife can attest to, I'm a pack rat. I could argue that I'm nostalgic and a collector - but Linda is probably more right then I am. As I go through these boxes I plan to photograph and share some of my favorite things or those with stories. We'll call it The Historical Blog Archive of Robbie's Crap. Or simply Historical Crap.

The first box yielded 4 electronic games from the 70s. These were some of the first hand held video games made by Mattel. Because I was a collector, wink wink, I kept the boxes that the games came in. I even found the sales slips! I did a quick look on ebay and found a ton of them for sale. The boxed ones go for a lot more then the loose ones so thank you very much to the 12 year old me. I could potentially get $100+ for at least one of them because I have all the games, boxes, manuals, and packing material in excellent condition. And yes, they are all for sale.

Mattel Electronics Football
I got the first one at the K Mart store in Grand Forks, ND. The game was huge back in 1977. Every boy either had one or spent their time begging to play their friends. I remember teachers in Jr High taking them away from us in class when we accidentally pushed a button that would made that distinctive tackle sound.



Mattel Electronics Battlestar Galactic Space Alert
Space Alert was my next favorite. It was sort of a simpler space invaders but it was still hard to play. Obviously it was the theme that hooked me since it was 1978 and I was a huge Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica fan. I remember that I ordered this from the Montgomery Wards catalog. One vintage seller on ebay is selling this for $275.



Mattel Electronics Baseball
Mattel Electronics Basketball
The other 2 games I had, baseball and basketball, were not my favorites. I believe I got them as either birthday or Christmas gifts. I played them but I just wasn't a big fan of either sport. To this day sport games aren't that interesting to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment