6/14/2006

Race Report #3: Withrow TT

The evening for the second TT was beautiful. Sunny, warm, with a slight wind. I arrived late due to the highway contruction that's plaguing my commute this Summer. I almost missed getting a number since they are limiting the race to 50 - I was #41. Since I was so far back I was able to get a good warm up ride before lining up. As I understand it, the muscles need a chance to start processing the lactic acid in the muscles and kinda 'come up to speed' so that when you start the race they don't need the first few miles to do it. Lactic acid is the thing that makes the muscles ache and limits performance.
I started the 13 mile loop in good shape and hoping for a personal record, or PR. At about the half way point the guy that started 30 seconds behind me passed me slowly. He ended up being a good carrot for me as I was able to keep him in sight for the rest of the ride.
At one corner I went out to the centerline and set up for a fast right hand turn. I looked ahead but still managed to surprised a pickup coming from the left as I rounded the corner (the course was T'ing into a county road) at probably 15 mph. It wasn't a close call or anything because I stayed on the shoulder, but I surprised him and he honked at me. I probably deserved it.
On the final one mile leg I really felt good and went for broke. In the end I posted a 33:58. Good enough for 14th place of 43 riders. That was 1 minute faster then last month but still not my fastest time for the course (33:51). I will need to shed about 20 seconds to get to my goal of an overall average speed of 24 mph.
It was a great night and I was happy with my result. You can also read my neighor's blog entry about his race. Jeff Ingham He's a lot more technical then me.

No comments:

Post a Comment