9/28/2008

Race Report: Oseola Duathon

This duathlon was in Oseola, WS about 35 miles from home along the Minnesota Wisconsin board. I really beautiful area with rolling hills. Nice to look at, not so nice it bike on - more on that later. The distances were 3 mile run, 22 mile bike, 1 mile run. Usually the runs are the same distance but the longer bike followed by a quick run would be good for me.

I had to get up at 5:30am to get there and get set up by the 8:30 start. Way to early for a Sunday morning. I always pack everything up the night before so a) I don't have to pack in the morning, b) I don't forget anything or at the very least have the whole night to think what I haven't packed. We didn't have any milk for cereal so I had a hot dog!

At the race they had everyone preassigned to a rack spot. WTF? I always rack close to the exit but this time I was about half way back. So it wasn't terrible. The other bad thing was that the racks were set up in a grass/sand area of a park. Walking and rolling the bike covered them in sand. Not good.

The start was in 5 waves with me in the 4th wave. The first 3 miles went without much excitement. I was running well. Unlike last weekend we had to pass a ton of slower runners from the first 3 waves.

I transitioned fine, opting to carry my bike out instead of rolling it so as to keep the tires clean of sand. They sent us out out onto highway 35 that had a narrow shoulder. They had a lot of pylons that were only getting in way as I passed more and more people. I had to stay sharp not to hit one. It was far easier, and safer, to just ride out in the road lane. After 3 miles we turned off the highway. It's at this point that the race got interesting. We were into the hills.

I had seen the altitude profile on their website. I knew what to expect - sorta. The first climb would be the toughest with some nice descents after them. So I stayed aero and hit them hard. At the top of one I was caught by a guy. He said "this is not very fun!". He was right. I put him behind me after another mile or two.

More hills, more descent. Some at up to 40mphs! According to my GPS I was nearing 18 of the 20 miles so I started to add a bit of effort. Then I saw a big sign saying - 15 miles. Huh? Oops, I forgot that my GPS had recorded the first 3 mile run. Lucky for me the last 5 miles were mostly down hill so I was in good shape and really flying. Caught a few more people in the last 5 miles.

The second run was only 1 miles. I scanned the transition area and could only see maybe 10 bikes. Excellent. I run out with a guy on my heels. I stayed ahead of him for most of the run but he caught me as we neared the park and the finish. He jokes with me about finishing together and I asked if we should hold hands across the finish line. But he sprinted away in the final 100 yards. No problem, I noticed he was in the first wave. In race time I was actually 3 minutes ahead of him.

I was 10th overall. 1st in my age division. My bike time, which is always the most important for me, was good enough for 8th fastest. A very nice finish to my 2008 racing season.

Here is my surprising large and slightly cheesy trophy.

1 comment:

  1. Rob-itron,

    Nice finish you two wheeled monster. Congrats on the cheesy trophy you are in the land of cheese and butter!

    Ride fast and free

    Bryman B
    Minnetonka

    ReplyDelete