9/28/2008

New Bike



I bought a new road bike!

Some time this Summer I decided that I was going to buy a new bike next year. I figured that gave me 6 to 9 months to look around and make some decisions on what I wanted.

The issue was accelerated for me when the right shifter on my Bianchi seized up. The mechanic told me it was a replace, not repair. Not good news but seeing as it was Fall and I would probably ride my Cervelo time trial bike on the trainer this winter - not a complete tragedy.

One day while I was at Now Sport, sponsor of my triathlon team, the owner, Paul, told me he had a used bike of the type I had my eye on. He let me take it for a few days, actually 4 days over a weekend. Now that is customer service. No money down or deposit. I just walked out.

The neat thing about the bike is that it was ridden for the Summer by a guy named Tim Mulrooney, Timmer to the racing community. Timmer was a sponsored rider on the Now Sport team. See, when you are really good you get bikes from your sponsor to ride. He went on to be the Rider of the Year (ROY) for the top division in Minnesota. The dude it fast. Here is a photo of Tim on the bike.


Photo from http://nowbikes-fitness.com/

So I bought!

It's a Litespeed Icon with Shimano Dura Ace components. It's made of Titanium. I haven't been on it more then a few times since I was getting ready for the 2 duathlons. But I hope to get some nice rides before it gets too cold.

2 comments:

  1. NICE! take care of her like I did.. it'll last forever. I actaully 'downgraded' the original fork as the easton EC 90 was just to whippy for me and made the bike 'soft' when out of the saddle. NOW swapped out the fork for a stiff but slightly heavier one that i think really changed the way it rides for the better for me. Glad you're happy with it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim.
    If you look really closely at the B/W photo you will notice that I kept the Irish flag off of your name decal. It's just below the Ti label. I'm hoping a bit of your Irish luck stays with the bike.

    I almost got the HED Ardennes along with it but I decided to wait till the Spring for new wheels.

    ReplyDelete